Sunday, October 28, 2012
How to Take Spooky Pumpkin Photos
It just wouldn't be Halloween without a few pumpkin photos now would it!? The big day is almost upon us and I thought it was high time we chat about taking the perfect pumpkin photo! Keep reading for some tips on photographing your lit pumpkins and a few more creative pumpkin ideas.
5 Quick tips for taking spooky Halloween Pumpkin Photos:
1. Turn out the lights and turn off your flash. That spooky glow from your lit pumpkin just won't look the same in the daylight or when washed out by your camera's flash. So turn it off and proceed to tip 2.
2. Use your camera's self timer or a remote. In the dark and without a flash you're going to need a little bit of help getting a photo that isn't blurry. Set your camera on a stable surface or use a tripod to eliminate camera shake that even the slightest movement can cause in low light situations.
3. Pay attention to where you're taking your pumpkin's portrait. Eliminate distracting elements. Try photographing your pumpkin on a glossy surface. This will reflect the pumpkin's glow, adding an air of spookiness.
4. Using an artificial light source inside the pumpkin makes for more even lighting. Candlelight can be a little too harsh. Add a flashlight, use battery operated candles and use more than one light source to make that pumpkin glow even brighter.
5. Have fun with those pumpkin photos. My kids loved taking photos with their lit pumpkins this year! It involved playing a little game we like to call "freeze". They had to "freeze" and remain perfectly still throughout the photo in order for it not to turn out blurry. There could be no blinking, no itching noses, no giggling....they enjoyed the challenge and I loved the resulting photos!
Taking photos of pumpkin's that aren't lit can be super fun too!
Playing with pumpkins isn't just for kids!
A unique angle makes for some super cool pumpkin-ography!
Before and after shots are the best!
Have fun taking those pumpkin photos everyone! I'd love to see what fun pumpkin shots you capture this Halloween! Leave me a link in the comments so I can check 'em out and feel free to pin/tweet and share this post on FB if you found it helpful!
For more photo tips + tricks check out my eBooks from Ella Publishing:
For more Halloween pumpkin fun check out these posts: